Here, I have one more exciting recipe, which is perfect for snacks and breakfast with Hot Masala tea. It is easy to make and quick fix for tea party. When you have unexpected guests at home or you have to prepare breakfast for big crowd then this recipe is one of the best recipes you can make at home. For winter, hot tea and Poha is the best combination that anyone can crave for. In India, it is one of the popular dishes.The main ingredient for Poha is Flattened Rice which you can get from any indian grocery stores. It can also be called as “Kanda Poha” means only onions are added. No added veggies, or Potatoes. In Gujarat, Poha called as ” Pauva” or “Bataka Pauva” means potatoes and onions are added. And sugar is the additional ingredient apart from common ingredients like chilies, mustard seeds and Flattened Rice.
The question is why I name them Shahi Poha, becuase I like to add Shahi Jeera means Cumin Seeds to it. Moreover, I have added many additional ingredients like Cashews, Raisins and Peanuts. Though these are optional. But believe me it tastes much better with this ingredients. So, here is the recipe.
2 Cups Poha (Thick Flattened Rice)
2 Tbs Oil
1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1/2 Tsp Shahi Jeera ( Cumin Seeds)
2 Green Chillies Finely Chopped
3 Tbs Raw Peanuts-Optional
Handful of Mixture of Cashews and raisins (Golden)-Optional
3-4 Curry Leaves
1 Medium Onion Finely Chopped
1 Potato Chopped
Pinch of Turmeric
2 Tbs Lemon Juice
Salt To taste
1-2 Tbs Sugar -Optional
Finely Chopped Coriander
- Transfer the Poha in a sieve or colander. Wash them under running water for a minute or two.
- Keep it aside to drain water.
- Now, take a pan. On a medium flame add oil. Once oil is hot enough add Black Mustard Seeds. Once you hear crackling noise, you can add Cumin Seeds.
- Now, add Onions, Fry them till it becomes translucent in color.
- Add cashews, Raisins, peanuts and potatoes. Cook them for 2-3 minutes. You can add little bit of salt while cooking potatoes, it will speed up the cooking process.
- Once potatoes are cooked add drained poha, Turmeric Powder, green chilies, salt and Sugar. Mix them well.
- Cook for 1-2 mins with lid closed. Switch flame to lower medium heat.
- *Tip: If you find the poha is dry, you can add 2-3 tbs of milk to the mixture. And cook them for a minute.
- Now, turn off the flame and add lime juice over prepared Poha and mix them well.
- Garnish the Poha with chopped coriander and/or Thin Sev and Serve them hot.