Mung Bean curry always comes on top of my weekly menu plan. This is easy to make and goes perfect with Rice or Roti, but I love to eat this with cooked Jasmine Rice. This recipe requires minimal effort and it’s full of nutrition. For this recipe you will need cooked mung beans. Mung Bean can widely be used as curry and soup; and sprouted mung beans are great for salad. In my earlier post I’ve shared sprouted mung bean salad which has many interesting flavors infused. I am sure anyone would love to try it as a side dish for lunch or dinner. Now, let’s go over to the mung bean curry.
5 Cup Cooked Mung Beans
5-6 Cup Water
2-3 Tbs Canola or Vegetable Oil
3- 4 Curry Leaves
Salt to taste
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
Pinch of Asafoetida
2-3 Tbs Chili Powder
2 Tbs Coriander Cumin seed Powder
2 Tsp Minced or chopped garlic
2 Tbs Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Jaggery Powder
Coriander Leaves for Garnish
- Heat the pan at medium flame. Add oil, once oil is hot enough add mustard seeds. Let them crackle, add asafoetida and curry leaves.Immediately turn stove to low flame.
- Now, add garlic and cooked mung beans to the pan. Saute for a minute or two.
- Add Water, jaggery powder, chili powder, coriander cumin seed powder and salt to taste.
- Cover the lid and cook them on medium flame for 15-20 minutes.
- Uncover the lid and check the flavors, it should be properly infused, if required add spices as per the taste and adjust consistency by adding more water if required, and cook for 3-4 min.
- Turn off the stove and add lemon juice to the curry.
- Serve hot with cooked Jasmin Rice.