I’ve never ever thought one day I’ll be making Handvo from scratch. I mean it’s not that difficult, but I’ve always thought it’s time consuming and lot of work and preparation needed before hand. You need to plan and prepare this. Well honestly, yes, it requires planning, you cannot make instantly like you prepare this recipe using Handvo instant mix or prepared flour. Apparently, I am not the only one who thinks if you can find Handvo ready mix in any Indian grocery stores then why’d put an extra effort to make this dish from scratch. Usually, I buy Jalpur brand Handvo mix, it has the perfect combination of lentil flours and whenever I make from that Mix, every time the Handvo comes out great. but as an experiment, one day I’ve made Handvo from scratch. While preparing the lentil mixtures, I was not sure what could be the result, but I wanted to give it a try and made it. and result was simply delicious! I may not have the enough words to describe it. It was perfect in taste, texture and super spongy. And realized that it was not that difficult to make, only thing is you must soak the lentils a day advance.
1/2 Cup Rice
1/4 Cup Tuvar Dal (Split Pigeon Pea)
1 Tbs Moong Dal (Split Green Gram)
1 Tbs Chana Dal ( Split Bengal Gram)
1 Tbs Urad Dal (Split Black lentils)
1/2 Cup Fine Sooji (Semolina)
1/4 Cup Yogurt
2 Tsp Soda Bi Carbonate
2 Tbs Finely chopped Green chilies
2 Tbs Chili Powder
3 Tsp Grated Ginger
3 Tbs Sugar or Jaggery Powder
1 Tbs Oil
1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
1 Tbs Lemon Juice
1 Cup Shredded BottleGouard (Or Mix of shredded Carrot, Scallion and Green Peas)
1/2 Cup-1 Cup Water to Adjust consistency
Salt to Taste
3 Tbs Oil
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 Tbp Sesame Seeds
4-5 Curry Leaves
2 Dried Red Chilies(Optional)
- In a bowl Take Rice, Toovar Dal, Urad Dal, Mung Dal, Chana dal. Wash and rinse it with water. Soak them in water for 6 -7 hours.
- Once soaking is done, drain water, discard and/or can be reserved in separate container to adjust the consistency.
- Blend/crush soaked dal and rice in a blender. Water can be added to the mixture.
- Now, transfer the mixture in a bowl, add yogurt and place the container with the lid in warm area and let them ferment overnight.
- Once fermentation is done, it’s time to add all the spices -Turmeric powder, chili powder, chilies, lemon juice, grated ginger, oil, Sugar,shredded bottlegourd or shredded vegetables and semolina. Add the salt to taste and water to adjust consistency.
- Add Soda Bi Carbonate right before the baking Handvo. And Mix it well.
- For tempering heat a small non stick pan, add oil. Once oil is hot enough add mustard seeds. when the seeds crackle add sesame seeds, dried red chilies, asafoetida and curry leaves. Saute on medium flame for few seconds and switch off the flame.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Meanwhile coat the baking pan with cooking oil. Fill them with prepared Handvo Batter, and cover the batter with prepared tempered mix with oil.
- Bake the handvo for 30-35 mins. Insert a toothpick to check whether it’s fully cooked or not. Once its done, switch oven from bake to broil settings, at same temperature(350F), broil for 5 mins.
- Now, Handvo is ready, remove the pan from the oven and let it cool completely for 5-10 mins. Serve with hot cup of tea or with Green Chutney.