Today’s recipe is one of my favorites, and my go-to recipe when I am out of options…. many times I crave for Masala khichdi especially when I feel under the weather, or lazy to cook or out of options or want to eat spicy hot healthy food or I would say anytime…..:P…It’s so tempting with spicy hot pickle and yogurt. or even adding a dollop of ghee makes it more delicious, without wasting anytime I should get back to the recipe because this makes me hungry…:P.. This recipe will be made in one pot/ pressure cooker. So, let’s make healthy and delicious Masala Khichdi/ Porridge with vegetables in pressure cooker.
1 Cup Rice
1 Cup Tuvar Dal (Split Pigeon Pea)
6 1/2 Cup water
1 Cup Mixed Vegetables (Carrot, Shelled Pigeon Peas, Cut potatoes, Green Bell pepper,tomatoes) of your choice
1 Small Onion finely chopped
1 Tbs Ginger Garlic paste
1 1/2 Tbs Garam Masala
2 Tbs Chili Powder
2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
5 Tbs Ghee/Clarified butter/ Oil
2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- Take Rice and Tuvar dal in a large bowl. Wash and soak them for at least 30 mins.
- On medium flame, heat the pressure cooker, add ghee/oil to it. Once ghee is hot enough add mustard seeds. Let them crackle and then add cumin seeds.
- Add Onions, Ginger Garlic paste and saute them for a minute.
- Now, add all the vegetables and saute them for 2-3 min.
- Add Rice and Tuvar dal with water , salt, turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder.
- Close the lid. On medium flame, cook until you hear 2 whistles. Now, turn down the flame. and on low flame cook for 5 more min.
- Switch off the flame and let them cool down. Check and/or open valve to release any remaining pressure.
- Serve hot with yogurt or your favorite pickle.