This recipe is adapted from Handbook Cook the Book of food and wine magazine. The main ingredients for this dish are Cauliflower, almond and raisins. The baked cauliflower gives the smoky flavor and almond-yogurt curry gives the richness to the curry, It’s perfect healthy combination to make Indian style curries. It goes well with the chapati or roti. The original recipe called for less amount of milk, but I chose to add more milk followed by warm water to adjust the consistency so, that I can have it with Roti or even with a bowl of hot Jasmine Rice.
1 Large cauliflower broken into florets
6 Tbs Oil
Salt to taste
1 Thinly sliced onion
2 tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
1/2 cup of Ground Almonds
Pinch of Ground Cardamom
Pinch of Ground Black pepper
1-2 Tsp Chili Powder
11/2 Tsp Garam Masala
1 Tbsp Honey
1/2 -1 Cup Milk
1/2-1 cup warm water to adjust consistency
1 Cup Strained Greek or Plain Yogurt
1/2 Cup Sliced Almond +Raisins
- Heat oven to 350F. Wash cauliflower florets and drain the water. Toss cauliflower florets on cooking/baking sheet, add oil and salt.Combine them well and make sure oil coated well to florets. Roast them until tender and browned. It will take 30-40 min. Flip them in middle.
- Meanwhile, take a pan, heat 2-3 tbs oil. On medium flame, once oil is hot enough add onions, cook them until it browned.
- Now, add Ginger-Garlic paste and cook them for a minute or two.
- Add in Garam masala, black pepper, cardamom and chili powder.
- Add Ground Almonds, honey and salt to taste.
- Cook the almonds until they cling to onions for about 2-3 mins.
- Now, stir in yogurt and cook them for 8-10 mins. Simmer the sauce until it thickened and can see golden color.
- Now, add milk and cook, stirring, until the sauce is smooth, if you want more runny or liquid consistency now it’s the time add warm water to the mixture and cook them until it reaches to desired consistency.
- Taste the gravy for salt, if required add more salt to taste.
- Switch of the flame and add baked cauliflower florets to the curry.
- Season with Roasted almond slices and Roasted Raisins. ( You can roast Almonds and raisins in separate non stick pan on medium flame, until almond and raisins getting browned in color)
- Serve hot with Roti or Rice.