Rice is so comforting and versatile ingredient, that it can be used in many ways. There are so many different types of rice available, but Basmati is the King of Rice, I must say, I love its long white grains, and aroma of cooked rice Which is not at all describable. Whether you have it plain with curry or mix in vegetables or spices, in any way it’s palatable.
My routine is like- I like to eat roti and curry without even adding rice to my meal for whole week, but when I eat rice( even a small quantity) with curry I always feel satisfaction of eating good, complete and comforting meal. without rice it feels like something is missing, so, I like to make different dishes from rice for that You can refer my previous recipes – Khichdi (Indian Porridge), Mujadara( Mediterranean) , Spicy cake, No-eggs fried rice. And today I am adding one more recipe to that list. Recently, I made vegan Mix Vegetable basmati rice Indian style. In India, it’s called as Pulav or Pilaf. It goes perfect with Yogurt or Raita.
- 2 Cups Long grain Basmati Rice
- 1 Cup Carrot Small Cubed
- 1/2 Cup Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- 1/2 Cup Sliced Green Bell Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Green Peas
- 5-6 Tbs Canola oil
- 2 nos. Clove
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 3 Cardamom Pods
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Star Anise (Optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbs Pulav/Biriyani Masala
- 4-5nos. Cashew (Optional)
- Few Gold Raisins (Optional)
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- In a bowl take rice, wash them few times until water runs clear.After washing is done, Add 4 cups water and Soak them for 20 mins.
- After 20 mins, in a deep pan transfer Rice and water, add 1 tsp salt, Star anise, Cardamom, Cinnamon, bay leaf, cloves, carrots and green peas. On a medium flame cook the rice, after a min add 1 Tbs Oil or 1 Tsp Lemon Juice.
- Let it cook for few min, once water is started boiling turn down the heat to lower medium. Cook them for few more mins and once rice is cooked switch off the flame.
- Transfer the cooked rice on strainer. Try to separate grains using fork. Let it cool completely. You can also pass the cold water through strainer to stop the cooking process.
- Now, On a medium heat, in a nonstick pan add oil. Once oil is hot enough add Cumin Seeds, sliced onions and green bell pepper. Saute them for minute or two.
- Add Dry-fuits to the pan, saute them for a min or until golden brown. Now, add turmeric powder, chili powder and Pulav masala, fry them for about 30 sec. Do not over-fry them, we do not wan to burn them.
- Now, it’s time to add cooked rice with spices and vegetables to the pan.
- Add Salt to taste and gently mix everything well.
- Close the lid and cook them on lower flame for 5-7 more minutes.
- Switch off the flame. and Vegetable Basmati Rice is ready to serve.
- Serve hot with your favorite Raita or cup of yogurt.
Connect on Instagram @Pspiceinthebox