Pea Soup, In India it is called Sev Usal which is one of the most famous street food especially in West of India. It is quick and healthy recipe, and great crowd pleasure food. Pea soup/Curry is simple recipe with minimal spices added but when Sweet, spicy and tangy chutneys (Sauces) added on top of it with toppings like chopped onions, tomatoes and sev ( Chickpea flour fried noodles) it becomes more flavorful and irresistible. In India roadside hawkers serve this hot delish with slice of lemon and Ladi Pav ( Plain/Potato Roll). The spicy mouthwatering Sev usal is not only satisfies your hunger but it’s also pleases your soul…you heard that right..For me it’s like heaven…and In India people eating Sev usal for breakfast or Dinner. I guess I’ve praised more than enough about this dish,and now I should write down the recipe. It’s not that I have nothing more to say, but I guess If I will not stop writing and thinking about Sev Usal, I’ll be strongly in need of this and for that I have to leave everything ( In this case I have to stop writing ;-P) go to the kitchen and make this dish right away to satisfy my cravings.Hahaaha….:-)..
- 2 Cups Soaked Dried White or Green peas
- Salt To Taste
- 2 Tbs Oil
- Pinch Of Asafoetida
- 2 Dried Red Chilies
- 1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Water to adjust consistency
- 1 Tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Tsp Goda Masala/ Garam masala
- 1 Tsp Tamarind Paste
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 4Tsp Green Chutney (Coriander Chutney)
- 6 Tsp Sweet Tamarind Chutney
- 2 Tsp Garlic Chutney (Optional)
- 3 Tbs Finely Chopped Onions
- 2 Tbs Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tbs Finely Chopped Coriander
- 4 Tbs Sev
- Wash and Soak dried White or Green peas for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Now, Add Salt, Soaked peas and enough water in a pressure cooker. Mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Let the steam to escape before opening the lid..
- Heat the oil in deep non stick pan. Once oil is hot enough add mustard seeds, Dried red chilies, Bay leaves and asafoetida.
- Now, add red chili powder and cooked peas with water.
- Add coriander powder, tamarind paste, tamarind paste and salt to taste.
- Now, cook them for 10 min on medium flame with lid. (You can add more water to adjust the consistency). Now, Ragda/ Pea curry is ready.
- For one serving: Take a bowl. Add 1 cup Ragda in a bowl. Top it with 1 tsp green chutney, 2 tsp sweet tamarind chutney, 1/2 tsp garlic chutney.
- Add 1 tbsp chopped onions, 1/2 tbs chopped tomatoes, 1/2 tbs finely chopped coriander and 1 tbs sev over it.
- Serve immediately.