I love Indian Food. Particularly, spicy Chats and Punjabi Curries. There are lot of varieties and variation in Punjabi curries. Chana Masala, chicken tikka masala and Panner masala curries are most pplular curry dishes in every part of the countries. These common dishes you will definately find at any indian restaurants. Some curry dishes may have onion base and some have mixture of tomato and onion base puree. And for Jain dishes you will find only tomato puree as a base. But, Today, I am going to share here Punjabi masala curry from canned tomato puree with onion paste. This is very easy and quick recipe.
For Onion Paste:
2 Cinnamon Stick, 3-4 Cloves, 2 tsp Coriander Seeds, 1-2 tsp Fennel Seeds
1-2 tsp cumin seeds, 8-10 Cashews,
1/2 Onion Thinly Sliced, 1/2 tsp grated ginger, 2 Garlic cloves, 1 Green chili, 1 tsp butter
1 1/2 cup Tomato Puree
3 tbs Butter, 1 tsp Coriander Powder, 1 tsp Chili Powder, 1 tsp Garam Masala
Salt to Taste
10-15 cubes cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of Green Peas
2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasoori Methi)
1-2 tbs Whipped Greek Yogurt or Cream
- Heat the pan and roast all the spices mentioned under onion gravy i.e. cinnamon sticks, cloves, fennel seeds, cumin seeds. It will take a minute.
- On other hand take a bowl, soak cashews in 3-4 tbs of water, for 30 minutes.
- Now, transfer all the roasted spices from a pan to a bowl.
- In the same pan add 1 tsp butter, and add onions, chili, garlic and ginger and roast them for few minutes until onion gets brown in color.
- Now, grind all the roasted spices, onions and cashews with 1 tsp water in a mixture. Make a smooth paste.
- Now, In a heavy bottom pan add butter, onion paste. Roast them for a minute.
- Add tomato puree, cover the lid and let them simmer for 15min atleast. If you have store bought tomato puree then it may take more time. You can add little bit sugar to it to minimize the tangy taste of tomato puree.
- At this stage add peas, garam masala, chili powder, coriander powder and salt to taste. Mix it well.
- Cove the lid and cook them for 10 more mins.
- Add yogurt or cream, kassori methi and mix them well. Adjust the consistency by adding water.
- At last add paneer cubes to curry.
- And paneer masala curry is ready to eat, It goes well with Jeera rice or Roti or Paratha.