Dal Makhani is one of the most popular north Indian dish. This delicacy is made with Black gram Beans which is also called as Black Matpe Beans, Mungo beans, Vigna Mungo, Black gram or whole urad beans. And Kidney Beans can also be added to make this recipe more nutritious and delicious.
- 3⁄4 cup whole Black Gram Beans OR Urad Dal OR Black Matpe Beans
- 1⁄4 cup Red kidney beans
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 Cup Whole Milk
- 2 Tomatoes Chopped
- 1 onion Chopped
- 2 Tbs Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3-4 Tbs Butter
- 1 Tbs Garam Malsala
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 Tsp Chili Powder
- Pinch of Kasoori methi
- Soak Urad dal and Red Kidney Beans overnight in 3-4 cups of water.
- Cook them in a pot, in same water with salt till it becomes soft. or Cook them in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- Meanwhile in a non stick pan add butter and heat it up. Add cumin seeds when it crackles add Ginger Garlic paste. Saute them until it becomes fragrant.
- Add chopped onions, saute til they becomes translucent to light brown in color.
- Now, add chopped tomatoes, saute them til it becomes soft.
- Add chili powder, mix everything for a minute.
- Add cooked Urad dal and Kidney beans to the pan( Drain water and keep it aside). Crush the dals with back of the ladle.
- Now, add milk and mix everything well.
- Add salt to taste and cover the lid. Cook everything on medium flame for 15-20 minutes.
- To adjust the consistency you can add drained water we kept aside earlier.
- Add garam masala powder and let it simmer for another five minutes.
- Switch off the flame and season it with pinch of Kasoori methi.
- Top it up with melted butter and serve hot with Rice or Naan.