2 Tbs Canola oil
Generous pinch of asafoetida
1 Tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Chana Dal or Yellow split peas (Optional)
2 tbs Fennel Seeds
2 Whole Dried Red chilies (Optional)
3 Cups shredded Green Cabbage
1 Diced potato
1 tsp Coriander Cumin Seed powder
1-2 Tsp Chili powder
1/2 Tsp Turmeric Powder
Salt to taste
- Take oil in wide pan over medium heat.
- When oil is hot enough put asafoetida, mustard seeds and Chana dal. As soon as the mustard seeds start to pop add fennel seeds and red chilies (I didn’t add).
- Allow dal to get red and chilies to turn dark.
- Now, add cabbage, potatoes and add salt. Mix them well. and cook for a minute.
- Cover the pan, turn the heat to low and cook for 8-10 minutes or until potatoes are fully cooked. If needed, add water.
- Uncover the lid and add Chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander cumin seed powder.
- Stir and cook for another minute or two.
- Serve hot with Chapati, bread or rice.