Who doesn’t like cake?? Dessert lovers like me, always looking for something in the pantry or in the refrigerator. But Many times, I couldn’t find anything, and end up eating cookies or something else. I like to have something moderately sweet with hot cup of tea or Coffee. For me Blueberry muffin, Pound Cake or Pancakes are perfect option. I’ve shared their recipe earlier on my blog. As you all know that I like to bake and prefer to make most of the items at home from scratch. Recently, I tried No butter Sponge Cake, and it was so spongy, fluffy and delicious, perfectly sweeten and can be enjoyed it with tea, coffee, fresh fruits or Whipped Cream. Sounds delicious right??…I thought so too , and that is the reason I decided to make it.
This recipe is inspired by my favorite you-tuber, Stephanie from Joy of Baking. She is an enthusiastic and fantastic baker. I’ve tried many of her recipe and it never fails. I am going to copy her recipe and paste it here, for your convenience. I did make small change to her recipe and followed exact same procedure as she mentioned. but I substituted Cream of Tartar with white Vinegar So, here is the recipe,
6 Large Cold Eggs, Separated Egg yolk and whites in different Bowls
1 Cup Sifted All purpose Flour
1/4 Tsp Salt
1/4 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Cup White Sugar ( Divided 1/3 Cup+ 2/3 Cup)
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbs Water
Zest of Lemon( Used 1 Lemon)
3/4 Tsp White Vinegar
- Preheat Oven to 350 F. Take 10 inch round baking pan.
- Seperate Cold eggs, placing egg yolks in one bowl and whites in another bowl, Cover them with plastic cling wrap and bring them to room temperature. That is about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile sift and measure All purpose flour. Add baking powder and Salt, whisk everything together.
- After 30 min take a bowl with egg yolks, add 2/3 cup of sugar in the bowl and beat it with hand mixture on high speed until its thick, fluffy and light colored. It may take upto 5 mins. Then beat vanilla extract, lemon zest and water. Beat it to another minute or so. Now, set aside.
- Take a bowl with egg whites, beat it with clean paddle attachment. If you are using the same hand mixture used to beat egg yolks then make sure to clean the attachment. Make sure it’s thoroughly washed and cleaned. and dry them well.Then use the attachment to beat the egg whites. Beat it until its foamy.
- Now, add vinegar to egg white mixture and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1/3 cup of sugar and continue beating until egg whites are foamy and just form stiff peaks. Set it aside.
- Take the bowl with egg yolks mixture, add flour mixture (1/3 of flour mixture at a time) over the beaten yolks, gently but quickly fold with wire whisk or rubber spatula.
- Then gently fold a little of the beaten egg whites into the batter to lighten it, and then add the rest of the whites. Fold it until everything is well incorporated. (Do not over mix the batter or it will deflate)
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, bake in pre-heated oven for 30-35 min or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool for at least 30 min. Run the spactula or knife around the inside of the pan along with bottom and center of the pan.
- Transfer the cake onto creased wire rack.
- Serve it with fresh fruits or Whipped Cream.